If the answer is YES, but you don't know where to start, keep reading... As an Accredited Staging Professional Master®, I know that the ONLY thing you have control over when selling your house is how it looks compared to your competition. Think about it...you can't control the market, the interest rates, or the economy. And you can't control how your competition looks or the listing amount your Realtor sets. The only thing you can control is how it looks. It's actually all about presentation. Want to know more? Keep reading for my top 5 Tips to prepare your house to be listed:
First of all, I want to stress what Barb Schwarz, the creator of the Staging industry, says "The way you live in your home and the way you sell a house is two very different things! You never want to just throw your home on the market to see what happens, because guess what....nothing will happen! That's because you need to give prospective buyers a fresh clean pallet to visually move their things in. If you have too much of your stuff left in the house, that's not going to happen. Staging your house (not your home, pack away your possessions for the next place you live) is the ONLY way to gain the edge over the competition and make your house look WOW!
TOP 5 TIPS TO DO BEFORE YOU LIST YOUR HOUSE...
1) CLEAN your house...outside and inside, in fact, anywhere a buyer may look. That means from top to bottom, every surface, in closets, your oven, freezer...be fanatical. A clean house also means all odors are eliminated and every surface is shinning!
2) CLUTTER FREE - Remember, the way you live in your home and the way you sell your house are totally different. What first impression does your front entry give? If it's cluttered, remove all the excess.
And inside...if you are a collector (like I am) and you are truly committed to selling, pack away all those collections and think minimal!
3) COLOR - Buyers today are looking for fresh clean neutral palettes. When I walked into a home with the bedrooms painted the school colors (orange and black) I was truly mortified! Yes, they loved it, but if they were truly committed to selling, they would have given it a fresh coat of light neural colored paint that would appeal to anyone! The other thing I see a lot in older homes is the paneling from 1970. The picture below shows how striking the room look when painted a light color. Look how much bigger the room looks!
4) CREATIVITY - Buyers only know what they see, not the way it could be. If your rooms are lacking in character, get creative. I never recommend you go out and buy new furnishings to "decorate" your house to put it on the market. Staging is not decorating. Decorating is personalizing your space, whereas Staging is de-personalizing your space. That's where the creativity comes in. That's the FUN part!
5) COMPROMISE - I always tell people to start packing, because as a Staged House, it will sell quickly. But can you really live without all your stuff? The things you love? And I answer, YES...if you compromise. I realize I have a lot of stuff. Do I really need 38 pieces of blue enamelware to make me happy? I recently pared down my collection to my favorite 3 pieces and packed the rest away! WOW, what a difference it made!
So those are the TOP 5 Staging Tips to get you started. If you need help along the way, I am here to serve you and my goal is to help you reach your goals!